Let’s not let affordable housing be another broken promise from Trudeau.
- 235,000 Canadians experience homelessness in a year.
- 1 in 5 renters spend more than half their income on housing.
- 1.5 million households can’t find decent housing they can afford.
- The affordability of housing for low-income families living in social and co‑operative housing is uncertain, as federal funding agreements will expire. In the absence of a new federal commitment, by 2020, 175,000 fewer low-income households will be assisted compared to 2010.
- Indigenous households living in cities and communities experience higher rates of homelessness and are more likely to be living in precarious housing than non-Indigenous Canadians.
In an effort to keep housing on the agenda, Acorn Canada has come up with the following template email that you can copy and paste and send to your Member of Parliament.
Subject: We need affordable and livable housing now!
Dear Honorable [YOUR MP],
As a resident of [YOUR CITY] we need the federal government to make affordable and livable housing a major priority in the upcoming budget. The housing situation across the country is a crisis, with hundreds and thousands of people living in sub-standard housing. CMHC reports that about 3.3 million Canadians (about 1.5 million households) are in core housing need at any given time.
Please ensure that resources from every ministry are added to the lump some of money being given to housing. Poor and unaffordable housing affects every aspect of people’s lives from physical to mental health and more.
Did you email your Member of Parliament? Let us know in the comments below.
One thought on “Keep Affordable Housing in the Federal Budget”
This is OUTRAGEOUS. This is where the Government needs to spend our money on the Social Determinants of Health, such as decent food, housing, jobs, mandatory consequences against sexualized violence and violence against girls and women. We don’t need a population being brain damaged on neurotoxic psychotropic drugs, we need safe affordable housing for EVERYONE NOW.